What is the entry for the claim recovered from fire insurance?

by Philip Kahoro
(Nairobi, Kenya)

Q: In the case of claim receivable from Insurance for stock stolen from a shop, where would the credit be posted and under what group of accounts in Tally?

A: The journal entries for an insurance claim are generally:

DR Insurance company (receivable/debtor)
CR Insurance received (income)
Insurance claim approved

DR Bank
CR Insurance company (receivable/debtor)
Insurance company pays out

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask a Question About This Lesson!.

Enjoying this Website?
Help Support it with a Donation


Advertise on Accounting-Basics-for-Students.com

Additional Info

All the lessons on this site and much, much more...

Accounting Basics: Complete Guide

Available Now On

Get Your Degree!

Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.

Powered by

Subscribe to
The Student Accountant newsletter

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you The Student Accountant.